The Department of Environmental Science & Engineering is created out of existing Centre of Mining Environment ( Established in 1987 as centre of excellence in the field of mine environment by the Minstry of Environment and Forests, Govt. of India) at Indian School of Mines in June 2007 with the commencement of a regular B.Tech program in Environmental Engineering under IIT-JEE (first of its kind offered by any national institute).
|B.Tech. (Environmental Engineering)
|2-Year M. Tech. (Environmental Science and Engineering
||GATE/ ISM Entrance Exam/ Industry Sponsored
|Ph. D (Environmental Science and Engineering)
||GATE/ISM Entrance Exam
|Ph. D (Environmental Science)
||GATE/ISM Entrance Exam
B.Tech. Environmental Engineering covering the following:
• Basic engineering and science subjects in first two semesters
• Subjects on Air, Water and Soil Quality Monitoring, Assessment and Management, Socio-economics, Environmental Legislation, EIA, Audit, Environmental Chemistry, Environmental Ecology & Microbiology, Environmental Geotechnology, Wastewater Engineering, Soil Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics & Hydraulics, Remote Sensing & GIS, etc.are covered in remaining six semesters.
• Environmental Leadership Projects.
• State of the art facilities for laboratory practical and hands on training.
• To cater the needs of industries: Chemical, Petroleum, Pulp & Paper, Textiles Industries, Metallurgical, Mining and Allied Industries, Energy sectors, etc.
The Department also offers a regular M.Tech program in Environmental Science and Engineering (since 1990) apart from Ph.D programs in Environmental Science and Environmental Science and Engineering disciplines, respectively. It also offers a number of courses at various levels in a number of B.Tech and M.Tech programmes of the University. Well equipped laboratories and qualified faculty make it an ideal Department for carrying out academic activities (Teaching, Research, HRD and Consultancy). The Centre now functions within the Department of Environmental Science & Engineering.
The students of the Department have been well received by the industries (CIL, BCCL, ECL, CCL, NCL, MCL, SECL, CMPDIL, WCL, SCCL, Sterlite, HCL, HZL, NALCO, BALCO, NTPC, L&T, Asian Paints etc). Regulators, (CPCB, SPCBs), Scientific (CSIR Labs, CIMFR, RRLs) & academic IITs, NITs, ISMU, etc.) Consultancy Organisations & NGOs.
- The Department has organised about 90 training programmes with the training of about 1000 in-service personnel and other stakeholders and offers regular training of 1-2-4-6-13 weeks duration as per the requirements of the industry.
- It also offers consultancy services to the industry in the areas of EIA, environmental management, air and water pollution control, wastewater management reclamation of degraded lands, solid waste management, noise abatement etc. The Department has completed a number of R&D and consultancy projects by establishing linkages with various national and international organisations.
- The Department has successfully completed three mega projects for building Environmental Management Capacity of Coal as well as Non-coal Sectors under World Bank aided projects of Coal India Ltd. and Ministry of Environment and Forests, Govt. of India, respectively.
- The Department has resulted Manuals, Books and Compilations which serve the mineral industry as reference material.
- The Department’s Faculty won many laurels which include National Mineral Award, Bala Tandan and M.L.Rungta Awards (MGMI), Institution of Engineer(s) Gold Medal, Subarna and Sashibhusan Memorial Award, Bharat Jyoti Award, Michael Madhusudan Award etc.
- The Department also has an Environmental Information System on Mining (MINENVIS) with a distinctive web-site: www.ismenvis.nic.in and maintains a database management system to cater to the requirements of various users/ stakeholders of the mineral industry and regularly publishes Newsletters and Monographs.
Prof. ASHOK KUMAR SINGH
Head of the Department
Fax: 0326-2296624, 2296563