The Department of Humanities and Social Sciences is one of the first departments of Indian School of Mines University started in the year 1926. This multidisciplinary department seeks to make technologists linguistically, socially, and ethically conscious individuals.
As part of the overall functions of the university, the Department provides instruction and research in ‘Applied Arts’, engaged as it has been teaching language(s) since its inception. Over the years, especially after ISM became a university, various subjects of humanities and social sciences have been introduced to widen the intellectual horizon of technical students.
The Department has a Computer lab with all modern equipment and Internet connection.
At present the Department has four faculty members and two supporting staff. The teachers are well known in their fields of specialization and have been actively engaged in research and teaching.
VISION AND MISSION
The changing economic and industrial scene of the country with increased international collaboration and policies of liberalization has made the role of the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences very significant, both academically and professionally. As of today, the expertise in the Department relates to possibilities of uses of English in various professional contexts, though it may also enhance its activities and expertise in emerging newer areas of social sciences.
In addition to the various courses offered to the students of B. Tech and M. Sc./M. Sc. Tech., the Department has already started undergraduate and post graduate programmes in the newer areas of Applied Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities in which mainstream universities have been a slow to contribute in a positive way: English for Specific Purpose, Professional Communication Skills, Recent Indian English Writing Studies, Scientific Ethics, Philosophy of Science, Intercultural Studies, etc. This way, we seek to maintain uniqueness of ISM University and offer a forward looking interface between the subjects of Applied Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences and promote an environment for viable interdisciplinarity.
In keeping with the uniqueness of the ISMU, now and in the foreseeable future, we seek to pursue teaching and research in the undergraduate and postgraduate levels in the following areas:
1. Intercultural and Communication Values.
2. Global Integration in post-IT culture
3. New knowledge Society and Creative Economy
4. Religion and Tolerance in the Emerging Global Society
5. New Literary Expression.
It may also be appropriate to consider offering Degree/Diploma/Certificate courses in Foreign/International Languages of economic importance.
STRENGTHS OF THE DEPARTMENT
1. The Department has the potential to provide training packages in the areas of Presentation Skills, Interpersonal Skills, Group Discussion Skills, and Oral and Written Communication Skills.
2. The Department can provide training programmes in relevant areas of its subjects to an identified clientale, according to demands locally and regionally.
3. The teachers of the Department can guide postgraduate research, such as M. Phil and Ph. D.
4. The Department can offer a couple of certificate and diploma courses in English and other foreign languages.
Dr. Md. Mojibur Rahman
Head of the Department
Phone: +91-326-2235277 (O)